Buzz

This seems to be turning into a 10 year tradition...

I buzzed my head today. I needed a haircut, and after visiting several local salons (I couldn't find a barber), I decided not to pay $20 for something I could probably do myself. So I simply bought some clippers and learned how. This is the first time I've cut my own hair, or anyone's for that matter.

It has been 10 years since I've buzzed my head. The last time was in Catalina with Jerod & Curtis when we were 21. Here I am at 31, and again have a buzzed head. When I was 9, I had to have my head shaved because of my bike accident, so that's why I'm calling it a 10 year tradition.

I have been cooking dinner every night for the past week. Last night was spaghettini & chopped vegetables, lightly sprinkled with olive oil. The first batch I made fell into the sink when I was trying to drain it. Oopps, try again.

Good thing that happened though, because it brought up some stories from my Dad & brother about pouring random things down the drain, and it getting clogged. I honestly would have poured the noodles, and today my hair, down the drain had that not happened last night.

I don't think I've mentioned the sidewalks here. Basically, they don't exist. You walk in the streets, and try not to get hit by cars, trucks or buses. Some sidewalks are available, or at least there is gravel on the side of the road, but most times it is cleaner to just walk on the side of the street.

Don't forget though, that it rains a lot here. Not heavily, but very consistently. This means there are usually puddles on the sides of the roads in certain spots. The first time you have to avoid a puddle, just when you hear traffic approaching from behind, and must step into the street to avoid getting wet... trust me, its a little unnerving. The whole experience takes some getting used to, something that I am still working on.

Over the past week I have meet three new neighbors. Two of which live here year-round, and another who visits for one week a year. Mark, who is the visitor, stays in one of his cousin's five apartments when he visits. That seems to be how it goes here, a few own many. I know of one lady who owns exactly 100 apartments on the north side of Coco, the area where I live.

What happened was about 10 to 12 years ago, the entire city of Coco had its roads planned and dug out. Not all roads were paved, but the overall layout was finished within a few years. Then, when the market was booming in 2003 to early 2006, developers came in and built the residential parts of town almost overnight. Most properties were sold pre-construction, and those with the means bought everything they could. Some flipped, some kept.

As a side note, the city of Coco has existed for nearly 50 years. Several of the older ticos (locals) have lived here for 40+ years. However, some built their homes inside the beach border, which is 50 meters from the water, and is technically owned by the government. About three years ago, the government came in and leveled any house, or any part thereof, that was within the 50 meter line.

One house I know of built a beautiful in-ground pool in their backyard about 4 years ago. Unfortunately, they had built their house within the 50 meter line, and the government leveled their house, but not the pool. Their neighbors bought the property, and picked up a nice, cheap pool to go with their beach front home.

For those following, sorry, no monkeys yet... Lo siento...
0 Responses

Post a Comment